Thursday, January 12, 2017

Eleanor and Park

        I can't stop reading this book! As I began to read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, I notice myself being pulled in by its unpopular cast. Usually in love stories, you have two characters usually having multiple qualities in common from the start. But in Eleanor and Park there a multiple characteristics of the two that are completely opposite. For example, race, class and culture. I believe that is what pulled me in. I found myself reading beyond the assigned chapters. As I continued to read, I noticed that some of the actions displayed by Eleanor and Park I had done in grade school. I found it so funny and just really enjoyed reading the text. I always wanted to know more about Eleanor and Park and what was new.
So, in the first few chapter you get to know each other characters, but not in your typical description-of-character way. You get to know the character as if you were in the book. You figure out what they like, what their intresters are, how they think. Soon after character introduction, tension begins to rise between the two chracters, Eleanor and Park. A familiar and interesting tension most of us can relate to; affection. From then, there rising affection between the two began to grow stronger and stronger on each bus ride. It's very intriguing because it isn't your typical love story. I can absolutely agree with New York Times on "Eleanor and Park" describing it to be "...a beautiful, haunting love story."

5 comments:

  1. Eh, I wouldn't really call it beautiful. The love story seems pretty unrealistic. The love that grows between the two seems pretty forced and the explanation is left to your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate how they are usually described from the other person's point of view, especially with their clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with on I think it does have that beauty. Like love can conquer society's rules of who people should be with and what defines their worth. It's neat to see it in such a young way. There's an innocence to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree how in most love stories, the characters are similar in a lot of ways. But in this one they have many differences and I like that! It's not typical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool picture first of all, like that you used that instead of the general book cover picture.

    About the love story aspect of it- I actually really liked that part of the book and thought that it was done well. I know that was probably part of the authors intention, especially after referencing Romeo and Juliet, to make the love story part a bit more slow going/rocky and therefore more realiztic- but thought that, yeah, Rainbow Rowell was really able to stress upon what that romance really meant for the two of them. At times it seems a bit... over the top, but I think that is really just meant to reflect that- these characters are young and are experiencing something new- and are relating to it on their own terms. Anyways, like Anna says, I love the the characters are developed to such an extent as so we can see their differences as we read on in the story.

    ReplyDelete