Thursday, February 23, 2017

Opening American Born Chinese

     In American Born Chinese, We discover that it is a graphic novel and it is also three stories in one. A graphic Novel is a book in comic-strip format. It contains bubbles, and the actual thoughts of characters, pictures, lots of colors and many themes. Especially In American Born Chinese. It focuses on the stereotypes about  Chinese people at the same time incorporating The Monkey King, a folk tale that is derived form the Chinese culture. Although the story seems to be about Jin Wang, it starts off with the Monkey King story, then switches to Jin's story in the second chapter.

     Personally, I do not like graphic novels or the comic book format because I can easily get off track. In comparison to Brown Girl Dreaming, I could follow but I got distracted just from a line or two because I wanted to figure out what was going on. Sometimes I can read words but not comprehend the meaning of them, which is time consuming. But at the dame time, I can always produce a general idea of whats going on.

   Additionally, In this book I think its cool to incorporate real social issues, that are in reality, very big controversial issues. On the other hand, I dont like sugar coating anything.

4 comments:

  1. I agree it's cool how the author incorporated these issues into the comic. It's an interesting way to view them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comment about dealing with real social issues, but how is it "sugar coating" it? It doesn't come off in that way to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how the author incorporated three books into one. I agree the author does a nice job incorporating real world issues into the story. I personally don't mind reading comic books, but it was never a interest for me growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitchell- Maybe because its in comic book formatting, That why I say that it seem to be sugar coating.

    ReplyDelete