Thursday, February 16, 2017

Opening Brown Girl Dreaming

       Opening up Brown Girl Dreaming, I expected it to be a novel about the title. An African American teen girl in our society today. I thought it would be about a girl who has trouble fitting in and why she couldn't fit it. I expected it to be in a novel format with every line to be a sentence, you know, the usual. But it's not. It's in poem formatting which is not common. Since it is in that format, I noticed that it is a lot harder to flow and actually know what going on, rather than in a regular book you could understand a single sentence.
       Diving into the book and beginning to read, the first few pages tell you that it's not in my generation but placed in the 1960's. It begins with Jacqueline being born in Colombus Ohio. It goes on and tells you that her parents got a divorce and how she's managing her life with that. After I her mom moves it describes how hard it is to live in South Carolina, as an African American girl.
        I've never read this book and by the looks of it I think I will appreciate it more than if it were in a regular format. I think the format and the poem structured book it what gets to me the most, in a positive way. I'm definitely going to like this book.



3 comments:

  1. I also thought the flow of the book was a little hard to follow. It irritated me how there is not quotations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so far! I agree the poem format was hard to follow at first, but as I continued reading it got easier to understand. Reading the title I did not expect the book to be about the author's life, and the experiences she faced growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so far! I agree the poem format was hard to follow at first, but as I continued reading it got easier to understand. Reading the title I did not expect the book to be about the author's life, and the experiences she faced growing up.

    ReplyDelete